The CardioION profile is a nutritional analysis which measures over 125 key nutrient biomarkers, enabling us to identify nutritional imbalances that may be a root cause of complex or chronic health conditions. The test evaluates:
- organic acids – chemical indicators of metabolic dysfunction, relating to energy production, liver detoxification, neurotransmitter production, B vitamin deficiencies, antioxidant requirements and digestive health
- fat soluble vitamins such as vitamins A, D and E, plus CoQ10
- minerals such as zinc, copper, selenium, magnesium, chromium and iodine
- toxic heavy metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, nickel and arsenic
- markers of oxidative stress – which can lead to DNA damage within cells
- markers relating to cardiovascular health – including not only cholesterol and CRP, but other markers which contribute to inflammation and qualify the risk of cardiovascular disease, including lipoprotein (a), homocysteine, lipid peroxides and the blood clotting protein fibrinogen
- markers relating to hormone production, including insulin, testosterone and sex hormone binding globulin
- ratios of essential fats such as omega 3, 6 and 9 in relation to saturated and trans fats
- detailed information on amino acids, which are crucial building blocks for immune cells, muscle and brain chemicals
This test provides actionable insight and personalised treatment plans in relation to a wide range of health issues including depression, fatigue, weight gain, hormone imbalance, anxiety, mental health disorders, chronic pain, inflammatory skin conditions, allergies, osteoporosis, recurrent headaches or migraines, low libido, insomnia, hypertension, elevated cholesterol and diabetes. It is also the ideal comprehensive health check for people wanting to take a proactive approach to their health.
How to complete the CardioION Panel
There can be a significant waiting list for the blood draw appointment, so please call Labtests Mt Wellington on 09 574 7399 and book a Tuesday morning blood draw, specifying that it is for the NutriPath CardioION profile. You should complete the urine part of the test upon waking, on the same morning as the blood draw and then take the urine sample with you to your blood draw appointment.
PREPARATION FOR URINE COMPONENT OF CARDIO ION TEST (to be done at home, before your blood draw appointment at Mt Wellington Labtests)
1 day prior to testing. Limit fluid intake to no more than 1 litre across the day, with no more than 250ml after 8pm. Ensure that the large freezer block included in the test kit is placed in the freezer overnight.
Important to note: If you wake in the night and need to urinate, please collect a sample of this urine in a clean plastic cup and add this to the morning sample the next day. You are aiming to collect all the breakdown products which are excreted in your urine over a 6-9 hour period as you sleep.
Day of testing. Collect first morning urine into the 50ml yellow pot and use the pipette to transfer it to the white collection tube, which needs to be labelled. Place the urine collection tube in the fridge until you are ready to leave for the blood draw appointment, then transport it in the white cool box with the large, pre-frozen freezer block. Take the blood collection tubes with you (not in the cool box).
PREPARATION FOR BLOOD DRAW COMPONENT OF CARDIO ION TEST.
Night before blood draw. Fast for 8 hours over night and until your blood draw appointment.
Morning of blood draw. Ensure that you drink some water in the morning, so you aren’t dehydrated for the blood draw. Attend your phlebotomy appointment, taking the freezer block and morning urine sample with you in the white cool box. The lab will send the sample off for you and there will be an additional charge for the blood draw service.